Whereas Laws, as they relate to the right to privacy are in force in every Province in Canada;
Whereas standards have been established by the Canadian Standards Association (CANA-CSA);
Whereas General Teamsters, Local Union No. 362 finds it necessary to review its own management practices, and establish new simple and complete procedures regarding the collection, detention, use and destruction of personal information held by General Teamsters, Local Union No. 362; and
Whereas it is necessary to put in place measures to control these procedures;
1. General Teamsters, Local Union No. 362 collects only personal information necessary to the management of the services offered to its members, or necessary to manage its own affairs.
2. General Teamsters, Local Union No. 362 tries to collect the personal information which it requires directly from the individual concerned, but can obtain it from any third party when that is more practical (a seniority list for example) or necessary.
3. General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 will communicate the personal information it holds on someone to a third party only if it has first obtained the assent of the person concerned, or insofar as necessary for the application of the present policy, or by the Law, or for the negotiation or administration of a Collective Agreement.
4. General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 maintains procedures which ensure that the personal information that it holds remains up-to-date insofar as necessary.
5. General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 uses the personal information held only for the reasons for which they were collected.
6. General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 maintains internal procedures to limit the use or the communication of personal information that it holds only to persons to whom it is necessary as per this policy, or legally obligated to do so, as well as the use they will make of it. These measures take into account the nature of the personal information concerned.
7. General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 requires that all organizations providing services or administrative support to the Local Union respect the present policy.
8. Insofar as it is necessary General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 obtains the assent of the people in connection with whom it collects, holds or communicates personal information.
9. General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 destroys the personal information which it holds when it ceases to be useful, and it is legal to do so.
10. Any person can request in writing, from General Teamsters Local Union No. 362, copies of any personal information relating to hin/her which is held by General Teamsters Local Union No. 362.
The present policy will be published by posting it in a visible place in all offices of General Teamsters Local Union No. 362, and on the internet site of General Teamsters Local Union No. 362.
Destruction of Information
When it is no longer necessary to preserve it, any document containing personal information will be destroyed. For this purpose, General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 will proceed to shred these documents before disposing of them or recycling. General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 may, for that purpose, retain the services of a specialized external firm.
All employees of General Teamsters Local Union No. 362 will sign a confidentiality undertaking.
The present policy will be the subject of an annual revision.
Brother Richard S. Eichel, Secretary-Treasurer, is responsible for the application of this present policy, and any request for information, access, correction, or of any other nature, must be sent directly to him in writing, at the following address:
Mr. Richard S. Eichel, Secretary-Treasurer
General Teamsters Local Union No. 362
1200A – 58 Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2H 2C9
On March 22 Finance Minister Bill Morneau announced the Liberal government’s budget for 2017. The second budget by the current government was entitled Building a Strong Middle Class, and we have highlighted a few of ...READ POST >
Each week Teamsters Local 362 will update our members on the latest news within the local. Make sure you check in to see what is happening in the union. CURRENT BARGAINING Negotiations for a Provincial ...READ POST >
On March 16 Alberta Finance Minister Joe Ceci announced the 2017 budget, and there were a lot of mixed reactions. He announced that there is a projected deficit of $10.3 billion for 2017-18 and an additional ...READ POST >